Sep 24, 2013

WHERE ARE YOU HEADED? - HERITAGE DAY

Where are you headed? To answer this you must first know who you are and where it is that you come from.

If you haven't already, its time to learn more about your roots.
Today in South Africa we celebrate diversity; the diversity of our beliefs, of our colour, our language, our traditions and the diversity of our culture, that contribute to our Rainbow Nation. "The rainbow people of God", is how Desmond Tutu described us.
It is our shared heritage that allows us South Africans to live in harmony.

With ELEVEN official languages, we definitely show that we enjoy the diversity. The eleven are: isiXhosa, isiZilu, English, Afrikaans, siSwati, Xitsonga, Setswana, Tshivenda, isiNdebele, Sesotho and Sesotho sa Leboa.

I ashamedly confess that I am fluent in only 2 of them and can understand and speak a bit of the 3rd. The saddest part is that I don't know my mother tongue. Being of indian origin but born and bred in South Africa, I have slowly lost a hold of my roots. That needs to change. Thank goodness the spicy indian cuisine isn't lost. Chilies and spices are still daily's.
I am indian but I am also South African. Today I plan on digging a little deeper and discovering interesting facts about my heritage, will you too?

Remember, always be proud of who you are and of where you've come from. Most importantly, be proudly South African, today and always.

Happy Heritage day & Happy Braai day!

No comments:

Post a Comment